TITLE The Thing
DEVELOPER Computer Artworks
US PUBLISHER Vivendi Games
UK PUBLISHER Vivendi Games
NORDIC PUBLISHER Vivendi Games
ONLINE PLAY No
SCREENS ADDED: 15 Mar-2005
Official Fact Sheet:
After the enigmatic deaths of an American scientific expedition in the uncharted and frozen wastelands of the Antarctic, a military rescue team is sent to investigate their deaths. Within these inhospitable surroundings the team encounters a strange shape-shifting alien life-form that assumes the appearance of people that it kills.
The game brings fear and suspense to unimaginable levels, with a compelling plot and unique gameplay elements based upon action, evasion, trust and fear. Forget everything you ever learned about obliterating alien species simply with a barrage of violent ammunition – this monster is difficult to see, hard to kill, and seemingly impossible to evade.
And when you actually see it, it is often too late?
- Taking place shortly after the events seen in the 1982 film – The Thing takes us back to the Antarctic base and familiar locals from the film for a terrifying, new chapter of isolation and paranoia.
- Advanced trust/fear interface adds a new dimension to the genre – How you influence non-player characters (NPCs) psychological state determines whether or not these characters will cooperate with you.
- Amazing lighting, weather and particle effects complemented by subtle sound cues and scripted events to create a new level of suspense and terror.
- Puzzle Solving can be accomplished by a multitude of scenarios – there is never one right way to accomplish an objective.
- Varied pace of gameplay throughout the game, blending action, puzzles, horror and human interaction.